portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, July 06, 2023

Moby Grape: Moby Grape' 69 1969 + Truly Fine Citizen 1969 + 20 Granite Creek 1971 | URBANASPIRINES

 Kostas does it again! (does that man ever sleep? 🛏 😏 😂 ) with a profile of Moby Grape 


Moby Grape ’69 - Urbanaspirines





I should like to point out The Rock Machine Turns You On and it was this album that introduced me to a whole gamut of American influences and we bought this first hip compilation for shillings (ask an elder Brit! less than a pound as memory serves) at the time and look how loyal I proved!

Bob Dylan was a given from my older brother Steve’s influence and I am not sure if this might be where I first heard Leonard Cohen* but it was certainly where I first found Moby Grape*, Spirit*, Taj Mahal*, Tim Rose, Electric Flag, Elmer Gantry’s Velvet Opera even Roy Harper I think. Being ever the Amerafile, I remained immensely loyal to most if not quite all of these* Others, like His Bobness, we had already heard; The Zombies, The Byrds (obvs) Simon and Garfunkel all of whom had already toured and struck the British scene. But we loved the exotic nature of these unknowns from magical places like San Francisco and the West Coast!
Far out man!




5 comments:

Kostas said...

Their debut album was a masterpiece. Thanks.

Andy Swapp said...

No worries Kostas, always a pleasure!
Keep on rocking’!

Dell said...

Rock Machine Turns You On - A Fine collection indeed.

Andy Swapp said...

Isn’t it? Wasn’t it?! Ain’t it tho’?
Thanks for that Dell!

If you were familiar with that (those ?) compilations do you recall You Can All Join In? Island records I think with the obvious Traffic and John and Beverley Martin etc etc, more Brit than the Rock Machine
another great budget compilation!

Have a great day and once again thank you for dropping by

Dell said...

Yea, I recall the album indeed - a Good selection for those interested to check out.