portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Richard Serra - great American sculptor dies

Image
Richard Serra, Who Recast Sculpture on a Massive Scale, Dies at 85

His tilted walls of rusting steel, monumental blocks and other immense and inscrutable forms created environments that had to be walked thro
NYTIMES.COM



I may have mentioned Serra before. Now I had a problem with sculpture as an art student to a degree and like many (most? ED) of us I have strong opinions and may not know much but I know what I like. Coming across Serra’s Spinout in the Kroller-Muller sculpture park when my wife and my brother first went to Eindhoven and further south into Holland. It was a life affirming moment, cathartic somehow and has stuck with me. A tribute to Robert Smithson it was an eerie experience, the quiet and the atmosphere was quite unique and I loved it. By all reasoning and taste I ought to dislike Serra’s work but I don’t . . . . . 
Art I guess is like that. I DO like Picasso sculpture plus that of Brancusi, Dubuffet, Man Ray, Rodin and his muse fellow sculptor Camille Claudel, I admire the three-D work of Damien Hirst very much and the opprobrium faced by the Tate’s purchase of Carl Andre's bricks withe the reactionaries whipped into a bile filled fury by the red top newspapers was an affirming moment took lesson in how to deal with the public in their anger during my employ at MOMAO in Oxford as I had to field abuse and anger at the expense and lack of ‘meaning’  (now this should be seen in retrospect as a brilliant investment worth millions when it cost the public purse a mere £4,000!) - I loved fielding question with questions like 'well have you actually been to see it’?- so you are getting angry at something you haven’t see? It went on for weeks and I enjoyed being somehow one who was asked by Joe Shmo what it all meant! Hah! Such fun!

 So more sculptures than many but still feel I have massive blind spots . . . . . . . . 

Richard Serra in the studio by Sidney Felson


No comments: