portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, March 14, 2022

50 year old albums on 2022!

This one's for Brother Jobe!

 Someone posted this on Flikbok, Farckblücken, Arsebook, one of those Social Media type wassnames Facebook 

I think it worthy of note because it contains about twenty that I certainly listened to then and still do prolly, but also I bought about 8 of these and it included perhaps my favourite album of all time and certainly always in my Top Three in Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot (we saw him around the time of that release here in sunny Oxford (what was then Oxford Polytechnical College and now Brooks University)

This concert stands as the best concert I EVER went to!

But the Stones - Exiles, I mean puhleeeze, my wife turned me onto Neil Young with Harvest, Elton John, and Cat Stevens - Catch Bull still I rate as his best ever, then I bought Lou Reed - Transformer, Obscured By Clouds - by Floyd, Stills' Manassas, Stewart - Never a Dull, Steve Wonder's Talking Book was never off the turntable, Caravanserai - Santana, Van Morrison's St Dominics was and still is a favourite of his, and we listened avidly to the Yes - Close To The Edge, Pete Townshend - Who Came First, Jethro, Deep Purple . . . . . all were played like mad. I mean what a list!

Curiously somehow I missed the Bonnie Raitt this time and also Little Feat, Todd I hadn't go into yet, and Bowie not until later . . . . . . . 

Not like its 1968 or 69 but still phew! 



3 comments:

Jobe said...

You know looking over this list reminds me of when I was a lad, hearing the music my mother and father listened to. My mom was big on Perry Como, Henry Mancini, Mantovani, Doris Day, Patti Page, you get the idea. While my dad was more into country Roger Miller, Johnny Cash, Webb Pierce, Buck Owens, again you get the idea. Me, I was totally immersed in Elvis, until a little bit later when I heard The Beatles, whom I loved but were not Elvis. Shoot I remember going to the movies by myself in California to see "Kissin' Cousins" to which there were maybe 25 people in attendance. So this puts me at 9 years old. My next musical revelation would come 2 years later when I heard The Monkees. Everything else paled by comparison. My top 3 bands in 1966 were The Monkees, Elvis, and The Beatles. It would be this way for the next 3 years when a "cool" friend of mine played me "Steppenwolf, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and Smash Hits" Well that changed everything. An aside, I remember going into the local K-Mart with my mom and convincing her to let me buy "The Doors Strange Days" with my allowance and her telling me "Don't let your dad see that" I guess his reasoning was that it would lead me into a world of narcotics (it did) But I digress. When looking at the list of albums that turn 50 this year I can see the resemblance of how the "kids" today look at the music we listened to. But I think it's very unfortunate that the "kids" today don't have a Beatles, Doors, Jimi Hendrix etc. Today's music (for the most part) leaves me cold. I hate to think that all of the great "musical ideas" have been used up. I guess there will never be another golden age. Anyway thanks for letting me relive my past on this long and rambling comment.

Andy Swapp said...

That was ultra cool! Really enjoyed it and just what I hoped it would do!
Laters bro . . . . . .

Frank Gerryts said...

I too bought many of these albums, with Clear Spot being a favourite even now. My younger sister introduced me to Beefheart and thanks to her I saw him at the Albert Hall at the time that the Spotlight Kid came out. It was amazing even from the seats in the nosebleed section.

Perhaps I will take this list and revisit these albums, including those I don’t know. Thanks for the memories!