portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, March 08, 2022

TOWNES VAN ZANDT (MARCH 7, 1944 – JANUARY 1, 1997).

Speaking of Pancho and Lefty (see Emmylou Harris ) yesterday saw also the birthday of legendary US folksinger Townes Van Zandt about whom  . . . . . .  a reckless drunk and a hopeless idealist, but he was also the best Texas songwriter of our time. Just ask Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett, Steve Earle, Nanci Griffith . . . . . 

I found this


Remembering the folk singer, songwriter, performer and poet Townes Van Zandt (March 7, 1944 – January 1, 1997).

Steve Earle described him as the greatest songwriter who ever lived, and his influence was felt by many other artists, including Emmylou Harris, Nanci Griffith, and Lyle Lovett. Bob Dylan refers to this Texas native as his favorite songwriter. He wrote hundreds of haunting songs that have been widely recorded, perhaps most notably “Pancho and Lefty” which was a number one hit for Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard in 1983.  

Since his death, Van Zandt’s legend has grown exponentially. With two biographies and a documentary released in the last decade, his legend will continue to grow as new generations have access to his music — because more than a handful of Townes’s songs are incontestably great. 

"In America when I play, I’m a folksinger — just me and my guitar. And when they’re recorded in America they’re usually recorded country, like Willie and Emmylou. In Europe they’re usually rock. They’re turned into rock or grunge. But they don’t fit into a category. I don’t write for anyone. It’s between me and the spirits. And the people on Earth. Every recording ever of mine, a cover, I’ve loved. Well, a person or a band, whatever they may be, takes a song of mine, learns it and does it their way: I mean you can’t fault that. There’s Eskimos around the campfire in Alaska passing around the guitar and maybe one of them will play “Pancho and Lefty” or something, and that’s what I’m supposed to be doing."


Photo by Ken Hoge

Tecumseh Valley - Townes and Nanci Griffith


2 comments:

BC and Joan said...

That is one amazing piece of music video. I've always loved the song and Nanci Griffith's album "Other Voices, Other Rooms" and to see both artist and the composer together delivering what must be the definitive version just brings so much joy in these sad days. Thank you so much!

Andy Swapp said...

You’re most welcome BC and Joan. I agree it’s one if my favourites both of the writer and Nancy’s albums. Thanks for dropping by. Stay safe and huddle up!