portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, July 02, 2011


I guess a fairly technical post here but I have re-done the WONDERFUL Martha Wainwright set from NPR in 2006 - the new version is better mixed and has covers and such by yours truly. It is really one of my favourite live sets from this wonderful artist. The set in support of Neko Case, is just a peerless mini-concert featuring 8 songs and the quality is great! If you didn't download it yet go get it and if you had the previous version get this one and replace the old....I have achieved better balance with 'Audacity' and faded some pops and clicks without altering the closeness and the authenticity of the original. Enjoy!
Martha in 2006 copyright ShakeFrog

Martha Wainwright
performing live at the 9:30 Club, WASHINGTON DC - April 9, 2006
 - I lifted this from the Neko Case concert and Martha was very much starting out, finding her feet in awe of The McGarrigles and her more successful brother Rufus** but boy she made up for lost time for this listener with the first album and her second 'I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too'
- an extraordinary jewel of a performer


Track list
1.Factory
2.The Day is Short
3.Far Away
4.So Many Friends
5.Ball and Chain
6.This Life
7.MBFA*

* WARNING - those in the know will know what BMFA stands for - Contains VERY Strong Language - DO NOT DOWNLOAD if easily offended. Otherwise it is for Father's everywhere! Towering piece of work and legitimately shows how to use obscenity as it should be used!


** From NPR
Martha Wainwright recently released a self-titled debut CD after previously appearing on albums by her father, Loudon, and her brother, Rufus, both established and relatively well-known musicians. Martha's mother and aunt are folk singers Kate and Anna McGarrigle.
Uncut magazine says Martha's songwriting "combines something of her mother's grace, her father's wit and her brother's artful, cabaret-pop sophistication, delivered with a rock 'n' roll passion that is all her own."
"I was insecure and fearful of making the leap because the bar is set so high with the McGarrigles and Rufus and Loudon that I didn't want to fall flat on my face," Martha says. "I also think I needed to go through a certain amount of life experience to know for sure that this is what I wanted." For this reader staggering self effacement and listen to the concert and see if you agree. Now I love Loudon Wainwright III, I enjoy Rufus and have most of his albums and I dig the McGarrigles but this for me is a unique woman writer and singer singing songs of self exploration in a way I have not heard anywhere else and with here her voice at his haunting best.
go get it here............

Martha at NPR 2006

From the first album and here on David Letterman show 'When The Day Is Short'....staggering performance

Factory from the First Album.....I adore this song .......and it's singer




the notorious song from the first album.......but what a song!
dedicated to all B.M.F.A's out there

again from Letterman......Leonard Cohen's 'Tower Of Song' from the cover tribute film and album 'I'm Your Man'


mini-interview and 'Bleeding All Over You' from 'I know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too' fine second album......

Had to include this Oxfam Re-Mix with Jim Kerr 'Promised You A Miracle'

No comments: