portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, October 12, 2015

Laurie Lee 'Cider  With Rosie' II


Further to the last post about the poem in the TV production of Cider With Rosie starring Samantha Morton (amongst others) I forgot to mention that the production also used a song cycle from Arthur Sullivan and Alfred Lord Tennyson called variously 'The Window' or as I would prefer 'The Songs of The Wren' when the Samantha Morton character of Laurie Lee's mother 'Annie' sings

Light, so low in the vale,
You flash and lighten afar;
For this is the golden morning of love,
And you are his morning star.
Flash! I am coming, I come,
By meadow and stile and wood:
O lighten into my eyes and heart,
Into my heart and my blood!

Wedding
Heart are you great enough
For a love that never tires?
O heart are you great enough for love?
I have heard of thorns and briers.

Over the thorns and briers,
Over the meadows and stiles,
Over the world to the end of it
Flash for a million miles!

Over the thorns and briers,
Over the meadows and stiles,
Over the world to the end of it
Flash for a million miles!



It stuck in my memory and I didn't recall whether it was actually used in the book or was a conceit used by the TV production and frankly don't really care but here it is!



Now I have to mention here I would watch Samantha Morton in anything and find her an extraordinary talented actress, I first saw her in a TV drama about p[rsoitiutes I believe and then tried to catch all her work and saw again her performance in Jane Eyre opposite . . . . . in which I thought she was outstanding and heartrendingly right as Jane in it. I liked her in the Tom Cruise movie but thought she was under used in it but she is such a fine actor I would as I have said watch her in anything. She is at once attractive and strong, yet able to play parts of plainness and haunting quirkiness as well as mesmerising








No comments: