portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Some great stuff this morning over at my favourite cafe. A 10,000 Maniacs soundboard set from Miami Florida in 1992

slightly low in volume but hey, turn it up!



I adore the work of Natalie Merchant but tend to forget how great this band was . . . . . nice set and worth revisiting

Then Mat at the cafe served us up with this . . . . . 




Now I am sure it has been hammered to death elsewhere but I love the work of Gillian Welch and the stuff by her partner Dave Rawlings hasn't always hit the spot for me but this, not least because of it's selection of Dylan covers, is really worth checking out. The interplay of the two 'bands' continues to fascinate but over all the Gillian stuff is what pleases me the most but hey, it's really worth checking out and I know there are fans out there who dig Dave's band over the Welchwerk!

Finally the cafe came up with a fine carafe of the MAN from Jo Wiley's who the end of September and it has many of my very favourite Morrison songs. Not ENTIRELY sure about the new single 'Too Late' it's catchy enough but sort of pop throw away to these ears. Perhaps it will wheedle it's way into the Morrison songbook but it is more than made up for by 'Cleaning Windows', 'Brown Eyed Girl', 'Enlightenment', 'Carrying a Torch' and 'Here Comes The Night' and his band are tight as a gnat's chuff!




Enjoy!
I think you will!

No comments: