portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

It's HENDRIX WEDNESDAY!!

why? because I say so . . . . . . . . . 
Perhaps My Two Favourite Jimi Hendrix pieces of all time . . . . . . 



Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Chile





swappers:


Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile From Electric Ladyland and at 15 minutes, Voodoo Chile is the longest recorded studio song by Hendrix. It has been called “virtually a chronological guided tour of blues styles” as Charles Shaar Murray would have it, ranging from early Delta blues, through the electric blues of Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, to the more sophisticated style of B.B. King, and the “cosmic blurt” of John Coltrane. 

Lyrically, the song is “part of a long, long line of supernatural bragging songs”. Hendrix’s song opens with: "Well the night I was born, Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red. Well, my poor mother cried out, ‘Lord, the gypsy was right’, an’ I see’d her fell down right dead."

“Hoochie Coochie Man”, the Muddy Waters/Willie Dixon blues classic, opens: "The gypsy woman told my mother, before I was born’You got a boy child comin’, goin’ be a son of a gun’" …In later verses, Hendrix “gives them an individual twist with his references to ‘the outskirts of infinity’ and ‘Jupiter’s sulfur mines’”.
With Stevie Winwood on keyboards, Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell and bassist Jack Casady from Jefferson Airplane, this was to prove one of the seminal moments in rock music history . . . somewhat the clouds opened and let down a demigod to let us know he had landed!





    swappers:
    Red House, The Jimi Hendrix Experience

    again what need I say . . . . . one of the finest blues cuts ever comitted to vinyl 

    No comments: