portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, July 22, 2018

I do seem to quite like angry songs that say things we might have said to people after the event ('Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine' being a classic case in point and I mentioned the surly attitude in Fun Boy Three's 'Our Lips Are Sealed' ) but EMF's 'Unbelievable' made me sit up and think too . . . . "I'm gonna shoot though and leave you . . . . you're unbelievable!" being a hook and a half IMHO. How many people have you met that made you think this?!
 It's legion!
Not necessarily my style of music at first glance perhaps but bought it in the bargain bins as an ex-jukebox single (ask your Grandparents!)



On this day in music history: July 20, 1991 - “Unbelievable” by EMF hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 1 week. Written by James Atkins, Derran Brownson, Mark Decloedt, Ian Dench and Zac Foley, it is the biggest hit for the alternative dance band from the Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK. The track features samples of comedian Andrew “Dice” Clay throughout the track as well as a looped drum sample of The Soul Searcher’s funk classic “Ashley’s Roachclip”. The band are signed to EMI Records after only playing four live gigs professionally. Though the bands name is said to stand for “Epson Mad Funkers”, it has also been claimed to stand for “Ecstasy Mother F******”. “Unbelievable” also has the unique distinction of receiving a massive amount of airplay in spite of the fact that it features another vocal sample with the phrase “what the f*ck was that?” throughout the song. Since it is somewhat undecipherable, the profanity was never censored and continues to be heard in unedited form to this day. Entering the Hot 100 at #87 on April 13, 1991, it climbs to the top of the chart fourteen weeks later. EMF charts two more singles in their home country with the follow ups “I Believe” (#6 UK), “Children” #19 UK), and “Lies” (#19 UK, #18 US Pop), the latter is their second and final chart entry on the Billboard Hot 100. The band record two more albums before breaking up in 1995. EMF eventually reunite for a series of live gigs in 2001. Original bassist Zac Foley dies of a drug overdose in 2002 at the age of 31. The band split again in 2002, but reunite again in 2007 and 2012. The song is later featured in the films “Space Jam”, “Coyote Ugly”, and used in a television commercial for Kraft cheese. “Unbelievable” is certified Gold in the US by the RIAA.

Enjoy and oh, turn it up!

"You burden me with your questions
You'd have me tell no lies
You're always asking what it's all about, darlin' listen to my replies
You say to me I don't talk enough
But when I do I'm a fool
These times I've spent, I've realized
I'm going to shoot through and leave you
The things, you say
Your purple prose just gives you away
The things, you say
You're unbelievable (what the f**k?)"


No comments: