portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, January 29, 2020


a couple of interstellar LOVE downloads from the simply wondrous Floppy Boot Stomp recently and I am remiss for not thanking them sooner and passing on the links. 
The first example is a Radio special firstly from Radio Vara [The Netherlands] from January 31st and then from BBC Radio in March from the Richard Skinner show both from 1992. The second featured Arthur Lee with Nick Salomon helping on guitar, promoting his 'New Rose' release. They also played some LP cuts which have been cut out here. On the end is a brief interview with Whispering Bob 'The Bomber' Harris on 25 March 1992.
I have said elsewhere or previously what Arthur and Bryan's writing means to me and especially 'Forever Changes' [usually in my top three albums of all time] I bought it when it came out and it hasn't been far for the music set up ever since. I have said also how close I came to seeing my hero in person playing here in Oxford Zodiac but he pulled out for health reasons and whilst in retrospect I should have gone and seen the Baby Lemonade players anyway, I didn't - too upset! 
I am so glad Arthur had something of an Indian Summer (think he would have found THAT term amusing) playing the Royal Festival Hall to play Forever Changes in its entirety and seeing his new young fan base adore him at Glastonbury. A master poet in my humble opinion and musician extraordinaire.  I bought the albums since but Four Sail proved a stretch and various band incarnations so the bands from heavy rock to other people coming and going [nearly thirty by my estimation) implies he was at least a curmudgeon or difficult task master. The guys at Baby Lemonade didn't seem to find it too hard to revisit someone else's classic work! 
I continue to miss him and mourn that unique poetic voice. . . . .oh, the snot has caked against my pants, it has turned into crystal . . . . . 



Love Live in Copenhagen March 1970. Arthur Lee, Gary Rowles, Frank Fayad & George Suranovich



as a bonus
I don't normally post links to things officially released and still in print but this is way up there in my top albums of all time so deserves a push I figured . It's from FBS too! If you like it, go buy it as well (see link below)

Arthur Lee - Live in London 2003 (Forever Changes complete) FBS













No comments: