portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, July 24, 2021

DAVID BOWIE - THE GQ AWARDS RADIO CITY NEW YORK 1997 - FRESH & ALIVE!

 

B  O  W ★ I  

EARTHLING!

 
Now as I was visiting Floppy Boot Stomp and Voodoo Wagon as I do (daily) I found myself wandering the side bars waiting for them to post something ( I do get so frustrated if they don't post something everyday! impatient little sausage ain't I?) and wandering about, as I say, I found this . . . . .  has anyone actually listened to this!? Over at Fresh & Alive!

 It is extraordinary in my view Bowie at his most playful and weird, with my favourite line up band and being an awards ceremony he seemingly can get away with the most playfully weird approach I have ever heard! The lead in for The Jean Genie is one of the strangest ever, loose and they start with nursery rhymes ('There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly'!?) and then an Elvis take off 'Baby What You Want Me To Do!? with Reeves starting with a screaming solo intro over David's Acoustic guitar noodling (presumably) and then full into a funky loud and tight JEAN GENIE! This is modern pop, POP! at its peak! Truly a creative set and staggering really in its coverage, 'My Death' (prophetic!?) 'Battle For Britain"?!! Seven Years in Tibet?!?! then Moonage Daydream! check out 'Fashion' here . . . . . . faultless, coke fuelled? possibly! fun? undoubtedly! . . . . . extraordinary!


David Bowie - 'Fashion'  live at The GQ Awards, Radio City Music Hall in New York City, 15th October 1997


David Bowie – Vocals, Guitar & Saxophone Reeves Gabrels – Guitar Gail Ann Dorsey – Bass & Vocals Zachary Alford – Drums & Percussion Mike Garson – Piano & Keyboards



David Bowie

GQ Men Of The Year Awards

Earthling Tour

Radio City Music Hall

New York City, NY, USA

Wednesday October 15th, 1997 

Soundboard Recording

Encoded: 320 Kbps MP3


Track List:

01. Always Crashing In The Same Car

02. Panic In Detroit

03. I'm Waiting For The Man (The Velvet Underground cover)

04. My Death (Jacques Brel cover)

05. The Jean Genie

06. I'm Afraid Of Americans

07. Seven Years In Tibet

08. Looking For Satellites

09. Under Pressure (Queen/Bowie cover)

10. Fashion

11. The Man Who Sold The World

12. Battle For Britain (The Letter)

13. Stay

14. Little Wonder

15. Hallo Spaceboy

16. Moonage Daydream

 

Check it out you won't be disappointed!





No comments: