Maria Muldaur - Sprague Hall, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 12-2-1972
One other reason I posted this is because it turns out that it was the opening act for a Bonnie Raitt concert I posted at this blog ages ago. You can find that here:
Bonnie at Sprague Hall ’72 here
Given that Muldaur was the opening act, it now makes sense that she joined Raitt for the last three songs in Raitt's set. I have the impression that Muldaur and Raitt are friends, and their musical paths have crossed many times over the years. Also note that she was backed by two musicians, with David Nichtern on guitar and Freebo on bass. I believe Freedo played bass in Raitt's set as well.
This concert took place near the very start of Muldaur's solo career. She had been a professional singer since the early 1960s, mostly as part of Jim Kweiskin and the Jug Band. Then she married Geoff Muldaur in 1969, and put out two albums with him. However, they got divorced in 1972, around the time their second album came out. So Maria launched her solo career with some touring in late 1972, then released her first solo album in 1973. That would contain the big hit "Midnight at the Oasis." At this time, she must have been relatively unknown.
This album is 49 minutes long.
01 talk
02 Me and My Chauffeur Blues
03 talk
04 Richland Woman Blues
05 talk
06 Earl's Crab Shack
07 talk
08 Lover Man [Oh, Where Can You Be]
09 talk
10 My Blues
11 talk
12 When I Was a Cowboy
13 talk
14 I Never Did Sing You a Love Song
15 talk
16 The Day Is Past and Gone
17 talk
18 Nobody's Fault but Mine
19 talk
20 Honey Babe Blues
(all tracks Maria Muldaur)

No comments:
Post a Comment