portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, March 03, 2013

A Young Hipster & A Hip Oldster

Now don't my many visitors (huh? ED) think I am merely an old Hippie just blasting the old grooves ! [What ARE you waffling on about? ED] Here's a beauty from Big O a youngster who we are interested in and like; Jake Bugg in Europe from last year and this and, something of a rarity if the notes are anything to go by, Neil Young and Orchestra from 1977
Go on, you know it makes sense!

 
There’s a new star in ascendant in London. Jake Bugg, from Nottingham, UK, was chosen by the BBC to appear on their “Introducing” stage at the 2011 Glastonbury Festival aged 17, and because of this was given a contract by Mercury Records. At the London 2012 Olympic games, Bugg’s song, Lightning Bolt, was played during the build up to the 100m men’s final. On October 15, 2012, Bugg released his self-titled debut album; a week later, the song, Two Fingers, charted at 33 in the UK while the album reached No. 1 in the UK charts.
This is what Barry Nicolson of the NME wrote:
There’s a great story about Jake Bugg that illustrates just how different he is from your average British teenager. Shortly after playing his first gig (not in some fauxhemian east London snakepit, but at his high school in Nottingham), Bugg’s friends, suitably impressed, implored him to audition for Britain’s Got Talent.. but Bugg was having none of it. “I never would have done that,” he told one interviewer, “because it doesn’t seem genuine, it doesn’t feel natural.”
Bugg, now 18, has been endorsed by none other than Noel Gallagher of Oasis. “Little Jake Bugg, he’s great. I’m a YouTube fan of his,” said the Oasis songwriter last September. Bugg has been invited to tour America with Gallagher.
The young Bugg carries his youth into his debut album. Note the lyrics of his single, Two Fingers, with an excellent chorus: “So I kiss goodbye to every little ounce of pain/Light a cigarette and wish the world away/I got out, I got out, I’m alive and I’m here to stay,” he sings. In a recent interview, he said: “I want my music to have some impact on people’s lives, like the first dance at their wedding or the song a couple met to.”                Reaffirms your faith in humanity don't it juss?

Now for some Shaky........


Here are some notes by 1chucho posted at Dime:
“Everyone played and it was the country wall of sound, the Gone With the Wind Orchestra. What a sound! Soon after I was so high on that orchestra that I did a free concert in Miami and took the whole group down there and played. But we didn’t record it - I can’t believe it. It must be the only thing I’ve ever done that I didn’t record. I did “Sweet Home Alabama” at that show, and the folks loved it. (My own song “Alabama” richly deserved the shot Lynyrd Skynyrd gave me with their great record. I don’t like my words when I listen to it today…)”
- Neil Young 2012 (”Waging Heavy Peace”)

This was a benefit in Miami shortly after Lynyrd Skynyrd’s plane went down on October 20, 1977 killing bandmembers Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines. In tribute, Neil followed “Alabama” with “Sweet Home Alabama.” And then, in classic Neil Young style, he followed that with “Are You Ready for the Country,” to my ears a song about the finality of death. 
“You gotta tell your story, boy, before it’s time to go.”

Can ya diggit? I think you can . . . . . . . . . 

No comments: