portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, March 30, 2013

 Last Show for Wilko

Sad news just in from Music-News:
Wilko Johnson, who has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and has not sought treatment for the disease, has played his final show.

Johnson undertook a farewell tour to play one final time for his fans but was forced to cancel the final two shows on the tour in his hometown, Canvey Island. It appears that he may have contracted some sort of illness while performing with Madness in the cold last Saturday night.

His management posted the following statement on Sunday:

 

Important Announcement: Due to health reasons, tonight and tomorrow night's Canvey Island concerts have been cancelled. An official announcement from management will follow shortly. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience for those fans that have already made their way down to tonight's concert.

I only performed one song but it was freezing and the wing was blowing up an absolute gale. It was whipping into my face and how Madness performed for an hour I have no idea. It was very very very cold and I think this is why I feel down.

It is really upsetting not to perform for the people of Canvey at the end. I really wish I could have done it and if one little bit of me thought it was possible I would have done it
Don't fret Wilko, we love you no matter what and come what may
Keep on Rockin'

No comments: