portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, March 12, 2018

I first came across Iris Dement through the support of John Prine and she is a unique voice and country or folk writer of Americana and here is a song that makes me think of the current Conservative council riding roughshod (again?) over the will of the people when they are planning another 4,500 houses on the green belt of my village (I say village! it has regular fought off attemoted changes to have it become a town) where I too live now on the meadows I played in as a child . . . . . . . doubling the size of such villages without adding to the infrastructure, there are less amenities then when I was a child, less shops, less pubs, the library is half the size it was, less of everything and all poorly maintained and the roads are more suited to a country back water let alone a steaming conurbation of the south of Oxford City. NIMBYism you say?! Nope! the brownfield sites throughout the country are in excess of the protected greenfields but it is easier to build upon and therefore the land agents are free and powerful enough to land grab and fight off appeals in first second and third stages . . . . . . . our town is dead or dying and the builders and 'developers' running with sacks of money to the bank 


No comments: