portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, August 27, 2018

I posted this the other day when Aretha passed away and it stands as my very favourite song by her. It is such a sexy song and I am always amazed it wasn't banned. Listen to the lyrics . . . . it is a love song I grant you but sheesh! I am glad it's anniversary came around now and I am happy to post it again. It would feature on any compilation of naughty songs about love and would be my number one. A troubled early life and never the most pretty of women, but as soul singers go, that VOICE! Peerless!


On this day in music history: August 26, 1967 - “Baby I Love You” by Aretha Franklin hits #1 on the Billboard R&B singles chart for 2 weeks, also peaking at #4 on the Hot 100 on September 9, 1967. Written by Ronnie Shannon , it is the third R&B chart topper for Memphis, TN born, Detroit, MI raised R&B icon. Penned by Ronnie Shannon, the writer behind Aretha Franklin’s breakthrough smash “I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)”,  the song is recorded at Atlantic Studios in New York City on June 23, 1967, and features musicians such as Jimmy Johnson and Joe South (guitars), Tommy Cogbill (bass), Roger Hawkins (drums), Spooner Oldham (electric piano), Truman Thomas (organ), as well as a horn section led by saxophonist King Curtis, and Aretha’s sisters Carolyn and Erma Franklin on background vocals. Following up the hugely successful “Respect”, “Baby I Love You” is issued as first single from her second Atlantic album “Aretha Arrives” in July of 1967. It quickly becomes the third smash hit in a row from Aretha Franklin in just five months, becoming another million seller for the then newly dubbed “Queen Of Soul”. In 1990, director Martin Scorsese features Franklin’s recording in his film “Goodfellas”. “Baby I Love You” is certified Gold in the US by the RIAA.

Behind the Grooves - Jeff Harris' blog

No comments: