portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, November 08, 2018

On this day in music history: November 7, 1969 - Paul McCartney along with his wife Linda, step-daughter Heather and new baby daughter Mary appear on the cover of Life Magazine. The magazine’s London correspondent tracks McCartney and his family down...
On this day in music history: November 7, 1969 - Paul McCartney along with his wife Linda, step-daughter Heather and new baby daughter Mary appear on the cover of Life Magazine. The magazine’s London correspondent tracks McCartney and his family down at his farm in High Park, Campbeltown, Scotland, hoping to get an interview and address the rumors about his supposed death. At first, McCartney is angered by the intrusion on his privacy, swearing at the correspondents and throwing a bucket of water at them. Cooler heads prevail, and Paul grants an interview (and exclusive photos) in exchange for the film shot of him during the incident. The article, titled “The Magical McCartney Mystery” (written by John Neary), highlights all the supposed “clues” about McCartney’s rumored death hidden on various Beatles records (such as “Sgt. Pepper”, “Magical Mystery Tour”, “The White Album” and “Abbey Road”) and in photographs. When asked about the rumors, McCartney comment, “perhaps the rumour started because I haven’t been much in the press lately. I have done enough press for a life time, and I don’t have anything to say these days. I’m happy to be with my family and I will work when I work. I was switched on for 10 years and never switched off. Now I am switching off whenever I can. I would rather be a little less famous these days.” The article also includes the first indication that The Beatles had already split when Paul comments in passing that “The Beatle thing is over.” Somehow his comment goes largely unnoticed by the media and the public in the months prior to the official announcement of the bands break up in April 1970.

No comments: