portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

DONOVAN 

- Gift From a Flower to a Garden -

I bought this album for my brother for his birthday and whilst a hippy style statement the flower to a garden aspect said a lot of what I felt about him. 
If I was a hippy 'flower' child then he was a garden . . . . . I thought of him as a tree and thought he towered beside me like an oak and could never be taken away from me and those that loved him. I was wrong and saw him struggle and wrestle the cancer that killed him over thirty years ago now harder than I have seen anyone battle anything . . . . . . . . the strongest, kindest, most peaceful man I ever knew

 . . . . . . miss you every day Steve

On this day in music history: April 16, 1968 - “A Gift From A Flower To A Garden”, the fifth album by Donovan is released (US release is in December 1967). Produced by Mickie Most, it is recorded at Pye Studios in London circa 1967. Originally released as two separate albums titled “Wear Your Love Like Heaven” and “For Little Ones”, it is one of the first rock albums to be issued as a box set. The songs on “Wear Your Love Like Heaven” are electric based pop songs, while “For Little Ones” are acoustic based children’s songs. The set is lavishly packaged with a full color booklet including photos and printed lyrics, “A Gift From A Flower To A Garden” peaks at number thirteen on the UK album chart, number nineteen on the Billboard Top 200, and is certified Gold in the US by the RIAA.
Help support the Behind The Grooves music blog with a donation by clicking on the link at: PayPal.Me/jharris1228

No comments: