portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

SOCIAL ISOLATION

(COVID-19 update here)


So, how are we all holding up? 
This photo is from the Spanish Flu epidemic of a hundred years ago. Scenes reminiscent of that tragic event are already occurring in around the globe. But for most of the rest of us the situation is not so dire (and will hopefully stay that way!). We just have to find a way to fill our stay-at-home days without letting anxiety and fear and boredom get the best of us. (P.S. I have never suffered from boredom and consider it something boring people get!)

I still manage a daily walk of a mile or so (although curiously didn’t over the weekend - too peopley!). Today I started making a Pit Fall Trap for the creepy crawlies in our garden, and emailed my gang in the hope they would join me and give something to do for my nearly three year old granddaughter who I miss something chronic. I also worked on a garden bird spotting list after I had seen Chris Packham’s wonderful morning broadcast on birds and wildlife watching ion the garden alone with his step daughter Megan, who is as delightful and knowledgeable as her dad, which has become a daily uplifting routine. 

As has checking music broadcasts from some of my favourite musicians (Richard Thompson, Emily Barker, Johnny Hinkes and his wonderful ‘noodles’ as he calls them) and I usually end the live feeds with a daily check in from Ricky Gervais which always makes me laugh. 
I’m watching a lot of dross on the tele which is odd as I have LOADS of great DVD films to watch thanks to Christmas and birthday gifts. Still got loads of books to catch up on. We bought a couple of papers over the weekend as we had stopped somewhat. So I am still to read the Observer. 

I don’t know how I fit it all in! What are you up to?

Stay safe and remember
WASH YOUR HANDS!




2 comments:

diamonddave said...

Hi Andy, much the same in sunny Yarnton. Luckily we have a bit of garden so can be out there planting and tidying without coming into contact with anyone - except the wife! Spending time, aside from worrying, listening to music (normally d/l'ed from you or your suggestions) and doing all those jobs which had been planned from years ago. Damn!
Stay safe buddy and we'll all pull through this at the other end, whenever that will be.
Cheers
Dave

Andy Swapp said...

Thanks so much 'Yarnton' Dave. Glad you dropped by neighbour really good to hear from you and so glad you like the things we link to. Haven't been able to post as much lately but it will get better soon. All the best