portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The Rolling Stones:: The BEDSPRING SYMPHONY! A Box Lunch and a Meat Whistle 1973 - FRESH & ALIVE!

again another in the series of album/records/albums/singles bought when they came out and my dear friend John Northcote of Sunshine Records here in Oxford and later with Virgin and then club owner extraordinary (Break For The Border etc) gave me this yellow paper insert bootleg and we really laughed about the title for the longest time!





High quality vinyl and great sound. This is an interesting recording because there is an announcer that comes on before each side of the record begins. The music playing while he speaks are pieces of Glenn Miller's "A String of Pearls" and "Moonlight Serenade". He touts the sound of the recording on side 1, and the example of a not so good sounding song is Gimme Shelter from "Burning at The Hollywood Palladium" on TMQ (RS 522) from 6/9/72. This label was obviously not very loyal to it's original roots! A picture of "Bedspring Symphony" can be found on page 152 of Geoffrey Giuliano & Chris Eborn's "The Rolling Stones Album", 1993. The photo for the cover insert is from the opening pages David Dalton's book "Rolling Stones: An unauthorized biography in words, photographs, and music", 1972. The insert covers came on both yellow and green paper shades.

The Stones' best live recording, surpasses even officially released live albums. This is the best mix of 1973 soundboard shows , better even than Rattlesnake's big release 'Definitive Brussels'.

The Rolling Stones 'Bedspring Symphony' 1973

A Box Lunch and Meat Whistle Live in Concert 

Forest National, Brussels, Belgium

Wednesday October 17th, 1973

Excellent Stereo Broadcast

Track List: 

01. Gimme Shelter

02. Tumbling Dice

03. Brown Sugar

04. Heartbreaker

05. Angie

06. Honky Tonk Woman

07. Midnight Rambler

08. All Down the Line

09. Street Fighting Man

10. Interview with Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts (Time 10:32)

The Rolling Stones - BedSpring Symphony - Fresh & Alive 



Remastered limited edition covers

Before his untimely death [4th July 2012] my old friend and compadre Stephen Blackman the cameraman  DOP of some fine films, we used to discuss music (and film, I will never forget his almost frame by frame and scene by scene critique of what I consider to be one of the finest films ever made and certainly Hitchcock's greatest in Rear Window after Steve's analysis) but music was no exception too whether it be the work of Elvis Costello or our shared obsession Bob Dylan and always in great depth and The Stones were no exception too and as we began comparing notes, he kept finding versions of Midnight Rambler for example and we discussed its narrative and suitability for use as a filmic thriller or horror film and we enjoyed find different versions and sending them to each other

I dedicate this bootleg finding to him . . . . . . . .


and this . . . . .the year of the remix of the '73 album!


2 comments:

Jobe said...

You know even though I have never met you in person, might I say that my love and respect for you is unmatched. I can only imagine the sense of humor you must have just by the name of your blog. Many many times what I post is done with you in mind. You always have something nice to say about whatever I do post. Your part of the reason I keep doing it, another is because The Boss gets on me when I get lazy and post nothing for weeks. But his love of music is unmatched and inspires me to keep doing it. You being from the other side of the pond makes me feel like I have some connection to the place that gave me the music (that I will always be indebted to) for what I am today. With the world constantly turning to shit I can always go to your site to reinforce my opinions or simply to escape. My Brother from another mother I hope you have the merriest of xmas. I look forward to another year of trying to find those elusive Richard Thompson, Bob Dylan, David Bowie and The Beatles things you may not have.
Love
Jobe

Andy Swapp said...

Oh wow Jobe what an amazing post and such lovely words! Don't think anyone has ever posted similar in the history of my blog! So appreciated and I am blushing and quite overcome at your supportive words.
I was a member of a few private music blogs and got kicked off for breaking petty rules so started my own! Knowing that some, even one, person has the response that I hoped it would engender in everyone who dropped by is kinda over whelming. My musical taste is a bit bonkers, catholic but eclectic too if that is not too chaotic a definition. You are the very personification of why I do this. There are some pals who have stayed with me and drop by and leave a note when they can from all sorts of sources all musos par excellence like your good self and the Boss!
Keep on Keeping On my friend
and here's is wishing you and all at FBS and VW HQ the very best of the season and hope we have much better 2022 than the madness of 2021 provided us!?!