portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Bill Haley was born in Highland Park, Michigan on this day in 1925

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK

Bill Haley His Comets - Rock Around The Clock - 1955


We had this on a 78 one of the first singles (sic) my brother bought as memory serves although I assume it had been out for a while as I was two and and my brother 6 when it came out but I recall it as a first piece of ‘pop’ music we could play on a hand cranked wind up player! My parents listened almost exclusive to classical music although my mother enjoyed a broader taste that included Joan Sutherland and she sang with the Halle Orchestra choir and really enjoyed Northern songs and folk songs like The Oldham Tinkers and later enjoyed Bix Biederbecke and the Pennies From Heaven Soundtrack (the TV Dennis Potter series not the theatrical version). I don't know whether it was somehow Steve who bought it later on say bout 11 or 12 or so but it is amongst my earliest memories. 

from Route publisher . . . .


No comments: