portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, September 27, 2024

EMILY BARKER - NEW SINGLE - THE SMASHING PUMPKINS - Tonight, Tonight

Love this and we love Emily round our way!  She has released a Smashing Pumpkins cover! 

Emily Barker


Emily Barker’s newsletter today included this cover . . . . . . she says

"Hello

I'm taking a break from two-stepping at clubs in Austin, Texas to write to you and say that I've got a new song out today! It's not one of my own - it's a song from The Smashing Pumpkins' record Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness called Tonight Tonight - I'm sure you will have heard it.

My version was recorded at The Wool Hall—where I made Fragile as Humans—with Luke Potashnick producing and the very same musicians performing on it. I love its mood - we leaned heavily into some Beck Sea Change vibes. I hope you enjoy it!

Also, I had a dream a couple of years ago and wrote this poem when I woke up...

#drummerdream

In a city of metal, glitter & stretched skin
behind a leathered band & thick black curtains
my heart beats double kick because
I’m the drummer of The Smashing Pumpkins
and we’re seconds away from walloping
into a sold-out stadium set.
The crowd are amped, keen to be teens again:
Tonight, Tonight smells of unrequited crushes,
Lynx Africa & the burn of firsts remembered.
Every song cradles place, past, peers, DNA.
Curtains rise & the roar is biblical. Billy turns
to me through the smoke, his scream starts the roll
of the Cherub Rock intro on snare. I raise sticks
above my head, count ONE! TWO! THR –

As with my album ‘Fragile as Humans’, this was recorded at The Wool Hall with Luke Potashnick. When Luke suggested we record a couple of covers, ‘Tonight, Tonight’ felt like an obvious choice. I hope you like what we did with it.

Tori Styles has made a great video using archival material. Watch that here.

Thanks for watching and listening!

Come see me play at one of my remaining USA shows or catch me on my Australia tour or my upcoming UK tour.  

Best wishes
Emily x"

It’s great! I love it but then I haven’t found anything by her that I haven’t  . . . . . if you like this go to her Bandcamp page and BUY EVERYTHING!



No comments: