portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Leonard Cohen and 'Marianne'



Marianne Ihlen 28 July 2016 - Leonard Cohen 7 November 2016

Well Marianne it's come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine. And you know that I've always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don’t need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.
— Leonard Cohen


After they met in early 1960, Cohen and Ihlen began living together on Hydra the Greek island later that year, Cohen drove her to Oslo where she finalised her divorce from novelist Alex Jensen. For the next few years, Ihlen became Cohen's muse, inspiring him to write several songs on his first two albums, Songs of Leonard Cohen (1967) and Songs from a Room (1969). The back sleeve of Songs from a Room features a famous photograph of her at Cohen's typewriter, draped in a white towel in their simple home in Greece.




No comments: