portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

SONG TO THE SIREN


the author . . . . . 


the Cocteau Twins


Sinead O'Connor



This Mortal Coil

featuring the guitar of Robin Guthrie and impeccable peerless voice of Elizabeth Fraser


The version by This Mortal Coil was used in the David Lynch film Lost Highway [1997] although not included on the soundtrack album for contractual reasons. Peter Jackson also used in the Lovely Bones in 2009. In October 2018 the This Mortal Coil version of the song appeared in the BBC drama Wanderlust (S1: E6)

Lyrics
Song To The Siren


Long afloat on shipless oceans 
I did all my best to smile 
'Til your singing eyes and fingers 
Drew me loving to your isle 
And you sang
Sail to me Sail to me 
Let me enfold you 
Here I am Here I am 
Waiting to hold you 
Did I dream you dreamed about me? 
Were you hare when I was fox? 
Now my foolish boat is leaning  
Broken lovelorn on your rocks,  
For you sing,  
"Touch me not, touch me not,  
come back tomorrow: 
O my heart, O my heart shies from the sorrow" 
I am puzzled as the newborn child
I am as troubled as the tide. 
Should I stand amid the breakers? 
Or should I lie with  
Death my bride? 
Hear me sing, 
"Swim to me, Swim to me,  
Let me enfold you: 
Here I am, Here I am,  
Waiting to hold you

Lyrics by Larry Beckett (1967) Original Music by Tim Buckley (1970)
Larry Beckett wrote the lyrics to Song to the Siren as part of his ongoing collaboration and friendship with Tim Buckley throughout their high school years

Song to the Siren lyrics © BMG Rights Management

No comments: