portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, June 19, 2020

BOB DYLAN

"ROUGH AND ROWDY WAYS"


Well I got my copy of the new Bob Dylan album today and am currently about half way through when I saw the review from Aquarium Drunkard's Jerry David DeCicca. It's worth a read and check it out here (link below). It is possibly one of the most unique and rarefied album reviews ever. . . . . it is, well, as odd as the singer musician who wrote it and his own work is linked onto Bandcamp but it is surreal to say the least (sorry Jerry!)
"I’m on my fourth listen, sitting on my porch, sipping Heaven’s Door Straight Rye. I have a house rule that while you’re drinking it, you can only talk about Bob. But no one ever visits, and now they can’t even visit if they wanted to, and I’m the only person that lives here that drinks the brown juice, so the rule really only applies to me"




The album is of course extraordinary Bob's 39th in his 79th year with a reference or even stolen title from Jimmie 'The Singing Brakeman' Rodgers' song, lets agree borrowed, and for those who listened to the first tantalising taste via the 17 minute long single 'Murder Most Foul' which revisit Bob's singular view on JFK and his death. Jerry starts by stating he had forgotten the two men were friends and I didn't know this, nor did I readily accept they spoke late at night on the phone (sic?) but that it tantalised is a given and much discussion ensued which of course was the not of he sunken and impromptu release. That the new album for over ten years should be very much lyrically driven is undoubtedly a given but musically it is odd too. There is a tendency to feel that the music is almost an afterthought from the lyrical content and visions of the band going through the motions of chord structure with next to no alterations in structure, no chorus several verses and bridge here. Some even have a kind of hymnal structure (Mother of Muses) and they are almost interchangeable (almost). It's almost music for poet monologues. It is broken down but for example 'Black Rider' sounds like another visit to 'Murder Most Foul' then there is a break with a more uptempo shuffle of Goodbye Jimmy Reed with its biblical references and visions of the Muslims walking by . . . . what ARE these songs about? 'I can't sing a song I don't understand . . . . I can't play the record the needle got stuck. . . . . I need you like my head needs a noose . . . . God speed

Another debate starts here . . . . 'twas ever thus!

My Rough And Rowdy Ways
For years and years I've rambled drank my wines and gambled
But one day I thought I'd settle down
I met a perfect lady she said she'd be my baby
We built a cottage in the old hometown
But somehow I can't forget my good old rambling days
The railroad trains are calling me away
I may be rough I may be wild I may be tough and countrified
But I can't give up my good old rough and rowdy ways
Sometimes I meet a bounder who knew me when I was a rounder
He grabs my hand and says boy have a drink
We'd go down to the poolroom get in the gang and then soon
The daylight comes before I'd had a wink
But somehow I can't forget my good old rambling days

No comments: