portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, February 07, 2021

LED ZEPPELIN - Live in Dallas 1969 - HEAR ROCK CITY

 LED ZEPPELIN

DALLAS 1969

A simply superb set and quality boot (sorry ROIO) remastered and cleaned up and then some from HEAR ROCK CITY. It is very HEAVY for a Sunday morning here but if you listen to one thing today make it this! 

Things have been a bit spare on the ROIO front lately and for one reason and another my go to sources in Floppy Boot Stomp and the Voodoo Wagon have been taking a moment to regroup and remaster their sources I think so here's an example that they wouldn't be ashamed of! I dedicate this album to them and ask them to play it and give it an 11 on the volume! And especially  I Can't Quit You Baby!" for Jobe and the maestro Silent Way.  

Listen to Jimmy on guitar here! 

I am not his biggest fan curiously and, don't hate me Page freaks, but the BAND and Robert in particular are amongst my heroes, that drumming puts Bonham in my top ten and no mistake, the keyboards and bass from John Paul and all that these two are doing now makes them classical musicians in my opinion. Jimmy not so much and feel he lost his skills and playing technique for the sake of speed and bravura rather than being content with being the master of the riff. The first two albums still stand as one of the most extraordinary experiences of my music listening life. ( I bought both of course when they came out and we listened avidly as I have commented before by the time of the fourth album I had gone in other directions . . . . . . . )

N.B. note there is a TERRIBLE edit between tracks 5 & 6 'How Many More Times' and what WAS a segue into 'Bye Bye Baby' as a coda to the former track but if you can set your player to butt them up against each other than maybe it wouldn't be so bad . . . . I guess not breaking it up would have meant a nearly 23 minute track but nothing wrong with that IMHO. The end of track 5 is abysmal!



LED ZEPPELIN - ELECTRIC MAGIC OVER DALLAS 1969 - Hear Rock City

Superb! I was always satisfied with the Great Lost Live Album of Southampton '73 (being better than Mothership IMHO) and chucked out pretty much everything else of boot leg standing but the work being done on tapes and cleaning up masters is astonishing these days. This is simply breathtaking! Thanks smoker!

Classic Rock Review - LED ZEPPELIN: The Great Lost Live Album Southampton 1973











No comments: