portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Captain Beefheart & Magic Band :: Rainbow Theatre, London, England - 17th April 1973 | Heavybootz

Captain Beefheart  . . . . . well around this time I didn’t think anyone would be posting ‘new’ ROIOs of the Captain & The Magic Band; here my favourite line up - (well, I would included John French on drums with Ed Marimba on well, marimba! to make the finest band but you get the gist!)  but this is a curio for sure in that I wasn’t expecting it but is very timely and whilst it may well have been adjusted or remastered (I don’t think it has!) this is always welcome and worth reflecting upon. 

This is a few days before the concert of Beefheart that I saw at Oxford Polytech (now Oxford Brookes University 3rd May 1973) that changed my life. It featured much of the new album (still in my top 3 off all time) 'Clear Spot' and started with Rockette Morton on slide bass solo! The evening here was beyond all my expectations and this is a recording from that tour that pretty much has the same set list that I adored at the time . . . . . . . . . enjoy I know I did. It may not be the finest quality but is still highly listenable 

Captain Beefheart & Magic Band - 17-04-1973 - London, England





Captain Beefheart & Magic Band 
Rainbow Theatre, London, England 
1973-04-17

aud
mp3 @ 320 [184 mb]
sq: A- / B+ 

artwork included

01 Hair Pie: Bake III (Bass Solo)
02 Sue Egypt (Instrumental) - Mirror Man
03 Low Yo Yo Stuff 
04 Nowdays A Woman's Gotta Hit A Man
05 Crazy Little Thing 
06 Band Intros - Sugar 'n' Spikes
07 Electricity 
08 Peon - Instrumental 
09 Abba Zabba
10 I'm Gonna Booglarise You 
11 Alice In Blunderland 
12 King Bee - Sugar Mamma 
13 Big Eyed Beans From Venus 

 

 

No comments: