portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Fat Tuesday (Go to the Mardi Gras!) - Professor Longhair Mardi Gras in New Orleans (1949 &1959) - Dejan’s Brass Band Aint My Fault

 

  • Track Name

    Ain't my fault

  • Artist

    Dejan's Olympia Brass Band

guessimdumb:

Dejan’s Olympia Brass Band - It Ain’t My Fault

I would be remiss if I didn’t post any music for Mardi Gras. 

I accidentally posted my Fat Tuesday song on Sunday (stupid queue), so here’s some funky New Orleans brass band music.

I was going to post some Fess for Fat Tuesday but completely forgot . . . . . (too busy tossing my pancakes and burned my hand!🥞

Legend has it that Nawleans releases the 'Fess classic Mardi Gras in New Orleans every year but you pays your money and takes your choice I guess, Apocryphal it may be . . . . . just dance around the room in your pants anyhoo!

Thanks as ever to the excellent Guess I’m Dumb!

 "Mardi Gras In New Orleans" by Professor Longhair.

The song was originally written by Henry Roland "Roy" Byrd (aka Professor Longhair). Byrd recorded the earliest version on November 3, 1949 for the Talent label. Recorded December 1949, New Orleans Released on Atlantic 897 (A-336) b/w "She Walks Right In". Henry Roeland ‘Roy' Byrd(vocal,piano, whistling), Robert Parker(alto saxophone), Charles Burbank(tenor saxophone), John Boudreaux(drums).

This was the first version (and Fess album) I bought and I first thought was the 1949 recording although there is an earlier sounding version on YouTube that makes that claim
here



there’s more . . . . . . 

Here’s the 1959 version . . . . . 

No comments: