portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

"No, Can’t do it today. I’ll join The Beatles on Saturday!" - Ringo Starr

RINGO


I love (and loved) Ringo and have all his albums. I loved him from the films onward. I consider him a signatrure drummer of great skill and artistry

 One of my favourite anecdotes is this?

Ringo Logic 101 : 


“I got a phone call from Brian Epstein on a Wednesday asking me if I’d join The Beatles.” 


“I said sure when ? And he said it has to be today. I told him I can’t join today. I’m in another band I just can’t pick up and leave. They deserve some notice.” 


“I’ll join The Beatles on Saturday.”


Ringo Starr Speaking Of The Day Brian Epstein Asked Him To Join The Beatles On The Off The Record HBO Special With Dave Stewart in 2008. 


#beachboysbeatles101


INT: I love the Tom Snyder interview from 1975 where John talks about how proud he was of Ringo’s success.

MARK HUDSON: Yeah! Well, you know what’s interesting? Ringo gave me a great compliment one time. I’m very energetic, multi-colored beard, which you can’t see out there in radioland, it’s pretty frightening, and when Ringo sings, I really get him energized because he’s always insecure about his voice, and Ringo always says, 

“I wanna be James Brown. I walk up to the microphone, l’m Bing Crosby.” 

So that Ringo thing that we love so much, he would rather be Little Richard or Stevie Wonder or James Brown. And I always sort of like make him feel like he can hit notes that he never could.  

And one time in the studio he said, “You know, you remind me of John,” because whenever Ringo had to sing a song, he’d get insecure, and evidently, from what Ringo said, that John would come out and say, “Alright Ring! Here we go man!” and he would start this thing like a football player.  

“You can do it! Here we go! Hit that note! With a little help from my friends!” and he would hit the note and he says “John had this thing that made me feel so confident,”and a huge compliment to me, saying that made him feel the same way. 

And it’s only because I quote Lennon, “Nothing you can do that can’t be done.” And I think that was a way of life, and I think that was the way John felt that way about Ringo. And that’s when we look at John’s first solo album, its three guys playing on it: Klaus Voorman, John Lennon and Ringo Starr, and that goes to show you the faith that obviously John had in him, was you know, three guys is pretty naked, and this day and age usually we do things to cover up.

— Interview with Mark Hudson (who produced five studio albums for Ringo) from Beatlology Magazine (May/June 2003 Edition)

No comments: