portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, September 08, 2023

Five Mantras for life by Rik Mayall, Honorary Doctorate of the University of Exeter

 My beloved hero Rik Mayall accepts his Doctorate from Exeter University from Floella Benjamin and grants us some wisdom to carry forward


well these youngsters have to hear wisdom from somewhere and where better than from one of our greatest (and naughtiest!) comedians. I have said before I first saw Rik with his compadre Ade Edmundson as The Dangerous Brothers who appeared to hurt one another and in doing so deconstructed a joke live on my tele box about a gooseberry in a lift . . . . . I was amazed and nobody had ever done anything quite so funny and with pyrotechnics that beat everyone else to boot, they caught my attention and my undying love
Then suddenly I spotted a young news reporter doing a Black Country report on the state of his relationships called 'Kevin Turvey' and my life was never quite the same again; from The Young Ones to Alan B'stard to seeing his Bottom live!

I miss him . . . . . Ade I keep an eye on and wonder still . . . a fine actor actually and last seen in War and Peace I think, where I thoroughly enjoyed everything he does on his own but there is always a sadness.
The absence of his partner in criminally funny ‘naughty’ behaviour!






No comments: