portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, September 07, 2024

Chuck Prophet on a favourite City - SAN FRANCISCO

 I think I have mentioned before but landing in San Francisco was one of the wierdest experiences of my life. I came to work for a company just across the bridge in Mill Valley (then) and arriving for company conference in the airport and taking the taxi into the great SF was like coming home . . . . . . . it was weird . . . . . . and totally GREAT! Never have a I felt like I have been somewhere before but  . . . . . . arriving in an airport where there were several shout outs for translators over the public address system that included Eritrean I knew I was home!

PART ONE

Chuck about his birthplace Whittier, picking up a guitar, Neil Young, his new album Temple Beautiful, ode to San Francisco, baseball player Willie Mays, getting an education in San Francisco, Dead Kennedys etc

PART TWO

I miss it but hey so long as Chuck and folks keep doing this then I am happy!

N.B. One of the oddest experiences was we had a gala evening out at the SF Historical Society and one or two folks seemed nervous about getting back to the hotel and were discussing getting a cab and I said 'no need come with me' and I led several of them back on foot across town (safely I may add) and one or two said ‘Oh you must have been here before?, and I said “No this is my first time!’  they began to look at me strangely!

Like I say ‘weird!’ . . . . . .thanks Chuck!


No comments: