portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Iain McGeachy [John Martyn] New Malden, Surrey born on this day in 1948.(76) May you never lay your head down without a hand to hold.

 For my brother Steve who introduced me to John Martyn’s work and loved his work and bought pretty much everything I think . . . . . . 

May You Never

We miss the ole grouch . . . .of whom I said 15 years ago
one about the Devil! 😂😂😂 John Martyn was born as Iain McGeachy in New Malden, Surrey on this day in 1948. A favourite of my brother's who played me an album called Solid Air and I was hooked!
A difficult curmudgeonly awkward bloody minded man, died too early from the effects of alcohol and drug abuse, given to affecting a strong Scottish accent when the mood took him and yet possessed of the most extraordinary musical and poetic talent at once unique and ethereally beautiful at times.

BBC Four - OGWT - I’d Rather Be The Devil

No comments: