Dorothea Tanning in her studio, Sedona, Arizona, 1946 by Lee Miller
Lee Miller by her husband Sir Roland Penrose
I think I have said enough for the moment about Lee Miller her relationship with Man Ray and her life as model, muse and war correspondent [first war photographer into Belson-Birchenau and the Nazi extermination camps] and maybe less the Surrealist Dorothea Tanning but that they are important to me at least warrants their duel appearance today. I will never forget shaking Lee hand at the opening of the ICA Man Ray exhibition and meeting Sir Roland too. The eye contact with Lee alone will stay with me . . . bright as a button, a brilliant not an easy read but she survived with an entirely unique place in art history for sure What a woman and still (in her eighties) a bright enigmatic presence I thought. What a life!
No comments:
Post a Comment