portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, July 31, 2017



SAM SHEPHERD


Sad to hear of Sam Shepherd's passing away from Lou Gehrig's Disease at 73 last Thursday. He was an early hero an actor, playwright and catalyst to many. I admired his play 'Fool For Love' and it blew me away when first I saw it. I admired his friendships with Bob Dylan, Rolling Thunder largely being documented by him, and friend to Patti Smith and sometime film actor too. Husband to Jessica Lange for over 30 years, I admired him immensely and his written work and roles in films I found mesmerising. Last saw him in 'August: Osage County' and again found him mesmerising amongst a sterling cast and in a fascinating piece that haunts me still. 
He will be sorely missed. American culture will be the poorer for his passing.





Sam Shepherd - Obituary NY Times


Sam Shepherd was the real deal . . . . . . 


No comments: