portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, October 14, 2019

Peter Bruntnell



One of the reasons I really enjoy blogs that cover 'bootlegs' in the old sense, or ROIOs to use the preferred term these days, is to find gems like this from this gentleman

I feel ashamed I have not heard his work or come across him before now . . . . what IS that all about!
Lack of label support, publicity and the state of music today suggests that only by word of mouth do we come across artists like this these days but Peter Bruntnell is one such animal! He has toured the UK last year from Scotland to the South. Still we did not come across him . . . . . . . .

What is it also about artist the like of Emily Barker (Australian) also who's work I adore (check her album 'The River') and her involvement with contemporary music (currently on tour with Waterson family member Marry) and being from the antipodes they are covering and being labelled, indeed winning awards in, the current genre de zeitgeist 'Americana'! What IS that all about too? Bruntnell is a New Zealander although some reviews have him born in Wales (sic) now living in Devon! Both while busily touring and yet are shamefully under exposed in my book. Maybe the endless touring is the only way these guys can make a living these days . . . . . . they do seem to have a staunch number of loyal followers but he escaped my notice somehow


Big O has recently posted a BBC live set from Scotland last year that is a peach






It's BBC Radio broadcast quality so is well worth the download





he travels mind you and sure enough here he is appreciated 'down home' in Tennessee! (sic?)




I like him and pretty sure you will too!                            (who ARE you talking to? ED)




"Bruntnell has a remarkable knack for turning out big, dreamy, melodic, memorable songs" - Mojo
"His songs are warm and beautifully radiant" - Uncut
"One of the finest songwriters in Britain" - The Independent
"His songs should be taught in schools" - NME

"One of England's best kept musical secrets" - Rolling Stone
if you play one thing today make it this track which is a double through marked as Widows Walk I think it also includes 
Track 04. Widows Walk * 8:31

3 comments:

SEALY said...

Come on lad. Keep UP.

I bought his third release "Normal For Bridgewater" in 1999. Still my favourite...a song called "You Won't Find Me" is definitive Americana and always brings a tear to my eye.

Saw him once back then too with the excellent James Walbourne in a pub in Sheffield.

The sound check consisted of Peter trying to teach the band "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere".....nuff said.

Happy Days

Very bestest

Sealy

Andy Swapp said...

Welcome Sealy! Point taken my friend. Did feel ashamed of course and was going to try a witty riposte but after being called "Lad" I'll let it go as it is also bang on the money! ha ha ha ha ha . . . . Really can't argue with that. Long time since anyone called me 'lad'! I feel so old now I am totally out of touch! Good to hear from you and thanks for popping by guvnor!

SEALY said...

I actually pop by fairly often...ought to comment much more frequently....

As for "lad" I wonder if its a bit more "Northern" as a term of endearment amongst men of a certain age?
It is certainly commonly used in the (ahem) Crown Green Bowling circles I now frequent.
I can hear you laughing from here..