portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, September 05, 2020

 MUSIC + COFFEE

EMILY BARKER - 'A Dark Murmuration of Words'

Today I are bin mostly listening to this . . . . . . . . . it came out yesterday and was celebrated by Emily with two live broadcast playings of the album at both 9.00am and 8.00pm with several of the brilliant musicians who played on it (including her husband multi-instrumentalist and renowned bass player Lukas) . . . . . one of the things that amazed me somehow and I realise this shows me up to be an ancient old Luddite but it was released yesterday and I was pleased to receive my digital download via email AND the hard copy of the Deluxe Edition of the CD in the post on the same day. How does Bandcamp DO that?

 [Also it was in my files without really feeling I had to download it but that's another story . . . . ]




Thus far I think it may be Emily's best album to date and it has a sophistication of writing, a depth and emotional maturity that excels over her previous albums and I am a big Fan of those from her work with The Red Clay Halo to her solo efforts like 'Dear River' and 'Sweet Kind of Blue' to 'Shadow Box', Almanac and more. This has a poetic resonance that reflects her current and continuing concerns, the planet and home, where we live and what we are doing in our place in the natural world.

(fans will get the coffee resonance as Emily shares her listening and coffee choices on her Facebook and YouTube pages . . . . . .  This one was my going back to reviewing Sainsbury's own range and this whilst being eminently affordable is Fairtrade and truly dark and rich with chocolate undertones, lovely!)

https://www.emilybarker.com/music/

No comments: