portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Helen Hulick 1938


 

                                               Jailed for wearing slacks in court in 1938 

Why is this young woman important? A nondescript looking ordinary young woman by any standards especially today but this is Helen Hulick who appeared in court as a witness in 1938 wearing trousers and was sent away by a judge to change into something more formal and suitable.  1938?! This is what we were up against back in the day that looks embarrassingly gauche and archaic in retrospect

Helen Hulick - 

was a kindergarten teacher in 1938.  She was also a witness in a trial against two burglaries, but ended going to jail herself for showing up twice in pants, which infuriated the judge.

              “Listen,” said the young woman, “I’ve worn slacks since I was 15. I don’t own a dress except a formal. If he wants me to appear in a formal gown that’s okay with me. I’ll come back in slacks and if he puts me in jail I hope it will help to free women forever of anti-slackism.”            

Held in contempt when she came back in slacks, Hulick was given a five-day jail sentence. A higher court overturned the contempt citation, clearing the way for women to wear trousers in courts of law.

No comments: