portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Ron Cobb

 RON COBB 

1937-2020

I've said it before but I am of an age now where so many of my early heroes are dying and today is no exception as I learn of the death of Ron Cobb earlier this week : September 21, 2020 - Cobb, probably best known now for being the production designer for several major films, has died at 83 years of age. 

Cobb brought to life several cantina creatures for Star Wars (1977) and came up with weaponry and sets for Conan the Barbarian (1982), the exterior and interior of the Nostromo ship in Alien (1978) and the earth colony complex in Aliens (1986), and the DeLorean time machine in Back to the Future (1985).
More interestingly, to me at least, is that in the 1960s and 70s he was a great radical political cartoonist, and sadly, many cartoons of those days are still just as relevant today. He was a great hero to me then. Check the dates on these . . . . . . .













I am ashamed to say I wasn't aware of the full extent of his work around the film world and here's some prime examples but do check out his webpages (see below)




Designs for the DeLorean for 'Back To The Future' - beautiful drawings


Vogon Poetry Reading - for an unused design for a US TV series of 'The Htichhiker's Guide To the Galaxy' - Cobb expressed sadness that nothing came of it except "a friendship with Douglas Adams"


No comments: