portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, February 25, 2022

THE DOORS:: The Coliseum SEATTLE 1970 - (broadcast) - Big O

 



THE DOORS

Well I never thought I would write this again for a while but here's a DOORS concert that I don't have in such broadcast quality and is really worth having. In fact essential for Doors fans . . . . . a real treat and Big O says:

THE DOORS
In The Coliseum Seattle Broadcast 1970 [Parachute Recording Company PARA130LP, 1CD]

Live at the Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, WA; June 5, 1970. Very good radio broadcast (vinyl rip).

The Doors fifth album, Morrison Hotel, released in February 1970, was seen as a return to form after the critically mauled (but commercially successful) Soft Parade from the previous year. A few weeks before the record’s release, the band set off on their Roadhouse Blues Tour, playing across the US, and certain shows in Canada - planned Japanese dates were cancelled during this period - before, on June 5, performing at the Seattle Coliseum in Washington State’s largest city.

Putting on a dynamic but amicable show with Jim Morrison in good spirits, conversing rather than taunting the crowd (albeit somewhat cryptically at times), this rarely heard concert, recorded for FM radio broadcast at the time, proves that The Doors remained a force to be reckoned with, a year from their demise following the death of The Lizard King in July 71.

“Light My Fire” is cut (duration 2:27) because recorder Vince Treanor’s tape ended before the song was performed entirely.

“The End” was played at the end of the concert but not captured on tape, the power was cut and the house lights were turned on.

+ + + + +

Jim by Linda McCartney 1967





2 comments:

Jobe said...

This is great

Andy Swapp said...

Isn't it though!? I was stunned and always make the mistake of thinking I must have everything by now and this blew my socks off.

There is a section in the 17 minute When The Music's Over that sounds like controlled feedback I couldn't believe. Whether it is Robbie controlling the guitar feedback or coming from Jim's microphone I couldn't tell but it's awesome. The reason I mention it here is that it goes some way to emphasise the sheer quality of the recording. I don't believe I have ever heard this section quite so finely and I thought I had different versions of this concert on vinyl!
Sorry, blathering but glad you liked it Brother Jobe and thanks as always for dropping by
Hope all is well with you and The Boss!