portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, March 28, 2024

BONNIE LASS : What’s On Your Mind? : Bonnie Raitt | Guitar Player Magazine +

 

Bonnie Raitt:  “Someone put it best when they said, 'You can’t change the noodle, but you can change the sauce.' I play the way I play, just like I sing the way that I sing. I’m not a schooled guitar player, and I can’t say I’m getting appreciably better, but I know how to do what I do. It’s the songs that change. 


“Taking risks is how I keep moving forward – that and being open to hearing things in a different way. Ultimately, I know there’s a safety net, and that’s the fact that I trust my ears and my instincts. 


“I’ll always try something different. That’s how you grow, and you also don’t want to be overly influenced by an inclination to dismiss something that’s new. So, I may do something I’m not really into – out of respect for Tchad and the musicians – but if it’s not working for me after a few days of letting it sit, then I’ll go, 'We gave it a try, but this song is sucking.'”


“I look at a player’s musical vocabulary, but I also consider the kind of person they are. To me, you can’t separate who someone is from the way he or she plays. It makes complete sense to me that Jon Cleary is so badass on the keyboards, and that he also reads Graham Greene. 


“I look for soul, intelligence, funk, and the ability to handle an extraordinary range of music styles. By the time I bring somebody into the fold, I already know they can do the things I need them to. I know George [Marinelli, guitarist in Raitt’s band] can do everything from Jimi Hendrix and Keith Richards to Richard Thompson, as well as being completely inventive in his own style.”


 -Michael Molenda / Guitar Player  

Photo: © Charlyn Zlotnik


Bonnie Raitt on stage watching Buddy Guy & Junior Wells perform at the Ann Arbor Blues Festival.⁣ by Jim Marshall 




 

Available now everywhere in all formats! https://lnk.to/justlikethat_b Stream “Made Up Mind” here: https://lnk.to/madeupmind Follow Bonnie: Official Website and Online Store: http://www.bonnieraitt.com Facebook:   / officialbonnieraitt   Instagram:   / bonnieraittofficial   Twitter:   / thebonnieraitt   Produced by Bonnie Raitt Recorded and Mixed by Ryan Freeland AUDIO TRACK CREDITS: Bonnie: vocal, electric slide guitar James “Hutch” Hutchinson: bass Ricky Fataar: drums, percussion, backing vocal Glenn Patscha: rhodes piano, hammond B3, backing vocal Kenny Greenberg: electric guitar MUSICIAN VIDEO CREDITS: Bonnie: vocal, electric slide guitar James “Hutch” Hutchinson: bass Ricky Fataar: drums, percussion, backing vocal Glenn Patscha: rhodes piano, hammond B3, backing vocal Duke Levine: electric guitar

No comments: