portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, June 29, 2024

Custer’s Last Stand

 Now I have always been fascinated by the stories of the Wild West as I have said before and since a child always been intrigued by what we then called ‘Red Indians’  from Jay Silverheels (The Lone Ranger’s sidekick, Tonto!) onward and researched the history of the 500 Nations as often as I could. 

I have mentioned I think that the story of chief’s like Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull especially was one that fascinated me and needed retelling in film, such a good drama it would prove. Also the Battle Of The Little Big Horn from portrayals in Little Big Man (seriously not far from the truth though a caricature none the less), to the biography Son of The Morning Star which is a favourite in my library . . . . . . . . 

here is a Facebook note I found fascinating


"On this day, June 25 in 1876, American Indian forces led by Chiefs Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull defeat the U.S. Army troops of Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer in a bloody battle near southern Montana’s Little Bighorn River.

This is probably the closest anyone can get to an “authentic” photograph of the immediate aftermath of the Battle of the Little Big Horn. This rare photo was taken during a reenactment of the battle near Chamberlain, South Dakota, in 1909 - possibly in connection with the filming of the silent movie, “Custer’s Last Fight.” I believe some of the Indian extras actually fought in the battle 34 years before."

Son of the Morning Star: Custer and the Little Big Horn is a nonfiction account of the Battle of the Little Bighorn on June 25, 1876, by novelist Evan S. Connell,

americana-plus 


 





No comments: