portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, September 09, 2024

Happy Birthday, Salma Hayek! Selma on playing Frida Kahlo



Salma Hayek on Frida Kahlo: 

"At that age (13-14) I did not like her work ... I found it ugly and grotesque. But something intrigued me, and the more I learned, the more I started to appreciate her work. There was a lot of passion and depth. Some people see only pain, but I also see irony and humor. I think what draws me to her is what Diego (Rivera) saw in her. She was a fighter. Many things could have diminished her spirit, like the accident or Diego's infidelities. But she wasn't crushed by anything."


Hayek was so determined to play the role that she sought out Dolores Olmedo Patino, longtime-lover of Diego Rivera, and (after his death) administrator to the rights of Frida and Rivera's art, which Rivera had "willed ... to the Mexican people," bequeath[ing] the trust to Olmedo. Hayek personally secured access to Kahlo's paintings from her, and began to assemble a supporting cast, approaching Alfred Molina for the role of Rivera in 1998. According to Molina, "She turned up backstage [of the Broadway play 'Art'] rather sheepishly, and asked if I would like to play Diego." Molina went on to gain 35 pounds to play Rivera.


Hayek had to sue producer Harvey Weinstein for breach of contract before the filming of the movie as he threatened to replace her with another actress despite the fact that she had brought the project to him with an agreement that she would produce and star in the film.


Hayek did some of the paintings in the movie. 

"It's no fake hand doing brush strokes [in 'Frida']. Painting is the best part. The worst was learning how to smoke! I couldn't do it. I wouldn't aim right at my mouth, the cigarette, and I don't understand why. I'm pretty coordinated. I hated it -- I was dizzy."


Kahlo's niece was so impressed with the film that she gave Hayek one of Kahlo's necklaces. (Wikipedia/IMDb)


No comments: