portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, October 12, 2024

Buddy Guy and his Fender Stratocaster! “If It Don’t Run, I Don’t Want It!"


Buddy Guy, Ann Arbor Blues Festival 1969

 

Buddy Guy: 

"Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page didn’t think a Strat could play the blues. But then they all went to buy Strats after they saw me because, as a matter of fact, one of ’em told me I threw the guitar, and I caught it back in the right key."


“And I don’t even remember that, man, because I think somebody flashed a light, and I missed the damn guitar. But they surprised me because they thought back then that the Strat was for Texas, Tennessee and country/western; they were always playing those kinds of guitars."


“But I just liked the Strat. Even if it was busted up and had a few scratches on it, it played like somebody stole it.”


"It’s like an Edsel car from 1959. You get in there to drive, and it just feels a certain way. It’s like my old friend Junior Wells would say, ‘Man, you can pull your woman so close to you in the car that you could kill her headache,’ and with the guitar, it’s the same way."


“It’s still got that tone, but a lot of people forgot about the tone. And a lot of people ask me about that tone, and it’s still got it. But they start looking at the looks, and just like a car, the looks sell it more than the ride; it’s about how pretty it looks. But I don’t care how pretty it is; if it don’t run, I don’t want it.”


Andrew Daly / Guitar World  Interview 


Photograph

By the legendary Jim Marshall


so what in the hecken freck did everyone play before the strat! the comments section reckon Telecasters but they were associated with Country music too and limited in range before the Stratocaster!  I’m confused!



No comments: