portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, October 06, 2024

Jeff Beck first sees Jimi Hendrix! | Don’s Tunes

 

here . . . . .  

Jeff Beck: “I’d like to get back to that Jimi Hendrix Experience type of approach,” he says. “The way that Jimi played, you didn’t miss the keyboards. It was all heavy and powerful. It just suggested power through the drummer, which I like. I love the sound of a big three-piece.” 

"When I saw Jimi, we knew he was going to be trouble, and by ‘we’, I mean me and Eric (Clapton) because Jimmy (Page) wasn’t in the frame at that point.” I saw him at one of his earliest performances in Britain, and it was quite devastating,” he continued, humbly revealing his envy. “He did all the dirty tricks – setting fire to his guitar, doing swoops up and down his neck, all the great showmanship to put the final nail in our coffin. I had the same temperament as Hendrix in terms of ‘I’ll kill you’, but he did in such a good package with beautiful songs. 

I don’t want to say that I knew him well, I don’t think anybody did, but there was a period in London when I went to visit him quite a few times,” Beck added later. “He invited me down to Olympic studios, and I gave him a bottleneck. That’s what he plays on Axis: Bold As Love. We hooked up in New York and played at Steve Paul’s club, The Scene.”

Don's Tunes

 

No comments: