portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, December 23, 2017

This just in my inbox from my dear friend Alan Blackman, father to my dear old friend who I miss sorely every day, Stephen Blackman


Metropolitan Diary
Pillow Talk With Saks Fifth Avenue
By JAN JAFFE

Dear Diary: 
When I lived in New York City and we ordered things by telephone, Saks offered three needlepoint pillows. Two fit perfectly with celestial theme I had chosen for bedroom; the third had more of a holiday theme. 
Well trained, I ordered the two by item number. 
Equally well trained, the Saks representative on the other end of the line checked: “So, you want the ‘Sun’, the ‘Moon and Stars,’ but not ‘Peace on Earth,’ right?” 
There was a pause as we both considered what she had said. Then we both chuckled. 
“Well, yeah,” I replied, “of course I want peace on earth … ” 
“But bigger than pillow-size,” the woman said.






🎅

No comments: