portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, December 14, 2017



Up there with The Doors (L.A.Woman) Captain Beefheart (Clear Spot) Professor Longhair (Crawfish Fiesta) . . . . . et al . . . we have Love 'Forever Changes' amongst my top three (rotating!) albums of all time and it is my eternal sadness that my ticket for Arthur Lee here in Oxford was not fulfilled because of his illness and which of course was to see one of my great poetic heroes pass away before I could see him play live. 'Forever Changes' when it came out was a massive influence upon me at the time and since. First played to me by schoolfriend from the local Grammar school Alan Bateman who's taste in all things west coast US primarily but then more broadly sixties modern Americana music I am eternally grateful for. (Love, Country Joe and the Fish, et al)

Here is Calexico covering the single I bought when it came out over here 'Alone Again Or' which I still have on 7" disc . . . . . . . 




beautiful performance and here from the wonderful Floppy Boot Stomp (oh YES!) is the Live in Austin, Texas gig from 2009

Floppy Boot Stomp - Calexico Texas 2009


Calexico - Live Austin City Limits 
Austin,Texas 2009
Broadcast Source @ HQ-vbr

Set List:
(Intro)
1. Convict Pool
2. Across the Wire
3. Cruel
4. El Picador
5. Sunken Waltz
6. Not even Stevie Nicks
7. Stray
8. All Systems Red
9. Sonic Wind
10.Alone Again Or
11.Roka w/Salvador Duran
12.He Lays in the Reins w/Salvador, Sam and Sarah Beam
13.Guero Canelo w/Salvador Duran
14.Letter to Bowie Knife
15.Crystal Frontier

No comments: