portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, May 18, 2020

JOHN PRINE



I have been struggling with entries on a couple of Facebook groups dedicated to John Prine especially since his death from Covid-19 to listen to most things people post and even the delightful Emily Barker of whom I am a great fan, had covered a wonderful version of John's 'Hello In There' dedicated to the worlds "seniors" (I couldn't listen to it with tearing up and having to stop and I told her so!). There have been exceptions and they seem to be earlier concerts and songs. I found this concert from 1995 in Dallas Texas for the Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings tour. It's a doozie!

Now I think I mentioned this was available for download over at the blogspot BBChronicles who has the entire concert there(see below). What I hadn't thought to check was that it was available on YouTube also. It IS! The full concert with no visuals and some separate tracks too. 


This tour coincides with my discovery of John's work. I have said earlier on that I discovered him through two singer songwriters, Bonnie Raitt ('Angel From Montgomery') and Nanci Griffith ('The Speed of The Sound of Loneliness') both of which and I am never quite sure which I hard first but it was like Bonnie who I followed for years before discovering John but also Nanci who we saw live here in  the UK on her 'farewell' Blue Moon Orchestra tour. I distinctly recall hearing the songs and thinking 'Who wrote this stuff?' and went out and bought the compilation album Great Days:The John Prine Compilation album of 1993 so it was in great anticipation when 'Lost Dogs' came out and I love that album maybe above the others but I tend not to rank them . . . . . . . it just means a lot to me. Check it out.




The whole concert here:
Download it here . . . . . . . John Prine Majestic Theatre, DALLAS 30 Sept 1995


 I'm getting there slowly and even found I could listen to this early on this morning and if you want to leave this page with a laugh here he is singing Egg and Daughter Night from his last album

No comments: