portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, May 04, 2020

This is a treat today and please consider purchasing it.
I found it on their Facebook pages and it works . . . . . 

EMILY BARKER

& 

BILLY BRAGG

Shortly after lockdown began, I was contacted by Emily Barker who asked if she could record a cover of my then just released song 'Can't Be There Today' as part of the Relay Project. It's a benefit record for the Music Venue Trust helping UK grassroots music venues survive this tough time with their #SaveOurVenues campaign.
The idea behind the 'relay' was that an artist would cover a song by an artist they admired, who would then be called upon to record a song by an artist that they admired and so on. I thought it was a great project for a locked down time.
I chose to record a song by Seán McGowan, his poignant ballad 'Springhill', which seems to resonate with these challenging times. You can hear it along with the other isolation-recorded tracks at
If you can spare a donation by buying the album at a price of your choosing, that would be great - and it will give impetus to a Volume Two that carries the project on.

Emily said:

Hello everyone, 
I hope you're keeping well. 
I was honoured to be asked to contribute a cover by a UK artist I admire for a collaborative album to help raise funds for Music Venue Trust
I chose this song by Billy Bragg because it speaks about our shared experience of being separated from our loved ones during lockdown. 
The album features a cover by Billy himself and many other brilliant artists such as Edgelarks - Phillip Henry and Hannah MartinThe Little UnsaidJacob & Drinkwater
 and more.
You can buy the entire album on Bandcamp and all monies go towards keeping our music venues going whilst we can't do shows.
I hope you enjoy my version of this beautifully poignant song.
Look after yourselves.
Emily
 
❤️
#SaveOurVenues

No comments: