portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Michael Chapman - Legendary Singer Songwriter Guitarist dies at 80

 MIKE CHAPMAN

1941-2021


Unique, legendary singer songwriter guitarist, 'folk singer' doesn’t quite cover it somehow but we have lost another hero . . . .maverick, mercurial, funny, particular and he connects Elton John, Sonic Youth, Nick Drake and David Bowie, Michael Chapman dies at 80. 

Born in Leeds in 1941, Chapman released his debut album, ‘Rainmaker’, in 1969. Since then, he has issued over 40 full-length albums. His final recorded effort, ‘True North’, was released in 2019 via Paradise of Bachelors.



Among the trees I have lain and passed my golden days Among the trees I have spent my summers in a haze Of lazy afternoons, watching all the rain, as it patterns the verandah, then disappears again.....Come the sun How I wish I could return to those summers once again How I wish I could just sit in the presence of a friend, Making music or just listening to the birds so far from sight Watching as the dark shades of evening turn to night, Gone the sun... Michael Chapman. First Broadcast: 21-MAR-1975








"Did I ever tell you the time I played bass for Wilson, Keppel and Betty?

Mike Chapman

3 comments:

Scottish Folkie said...

Another very sad loss to the music community.
Loved his '70s work especially, but he always knew how to write a good song.
"Dog's got more sense than to sleep in the rain,
but he can't play rock 'n' roll...."

Jobe said...

For those of you that don't know of his music, I offer his album "Fully Qualified Survivor" which features Paul Buckmaster and Mick Ronson. Sound's somewhat like a lost Bowie album. Don't miss this

https://workupload.com/file/uhAxTHhcpYX

Andy Swapp said...

Thanks SO much Jobe! Will post this online on a page when I have checked it out but it is appreciated! Thanks brother by another mother!