portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, January 30, 2023

Song To Close the Day : The Moody Blues - Question

 



Thanks to TwilightZone for posting this version . . . . . . . . I was never a great fan of The Moody Blues but this song really spoke to me back then and does still. I loved the voice of Justin here and always have but the prog-rock pomp and overblown aspect of so many of their songs put me off somehow . . . . .the sentiment here though spoke volumes to the youngster who knew what it was to lose someone he loved . . . . . . . 


Why do we never get an answer when we're knocking at the doorWith a thousand million questions about hate and death and war?'Cause when we stop and look around us, there is nothing that we needIn a world of persecution that is burning in its greed
Why do we never get an answer when we're knocking at the door?Because the truth, it's hard to swallow, that's what the war of love is for
It's not the way that you say itWhen you do those things to meIt's more the way that you mean itWhen you tell me what will be
And when you stop and think about itYou won't believe it's trueThat all the love you've been givingHas all been meant for you
I'm looking for someone to change my lifeI'm looking for a miracle in my lifeAnd if you could see what it's done to meTo lose the love I knew could safely lead me through
Between the silence of the mountainsAnd the crashing of the seaThere lies a land I once lived inAnd she's waiting there for me
But in the grey of the morningMy mind becomes confusedBetween the dead and the sleepingAnd the road that I must choose
I'm looking for someone to change my lifeI'm looking for a miracle in my lifeAnd if you could see what it's done to meTo lose the love I knew could safely lead me toThe land that I once knewTo learn as we grow old the secrets of our souls
It's not the way that you say itWhen you do those things to meIt's more the way you really mean itWhen you tell me what will be
Why do we never get an answer 
when we're knocking at the door?
With a thousand million questions
About hate and death and war

When we stop and look around us
There is nothing that we need
In a world of persecution
That is burning in it's greed


writer: Justin Heyward

No comments: